Next onto the keel filler. This was a part which I had made by re-sawing a 1" sapele board and laminating it onto the curve of the keelson. I needed to cut out a slot to accomadate the centre board. It now sits also on the boat, fastened with bronze screws.
Next day I was able to rough cut out the deadwood to shape on the band saw.
Using a flush trim router bit to take the pattern from inside the centre board trunk. A very satisfying process which produces a seamless joint.
I spent a fruitless few hours trying to get my chainsaw fired up today. Apparently the chainsaw is the tool of choice for cutting lead - and I need to trim off 1" off the top of my keel which I over-poured. The saw is suffering from fuel starvation - there is a tiny air vent in the petrol tank which is blocked and I had to dismantle virtually the whole saw to get at it. By the time I got to reassemble the temperature had dropped so much that the tiny tubes running to and from the carb became so stiff, I couldn't reassemble ! so have to leave until a warmer day and my patience is in better shape before final reassembly - probably should find some new tubing and proper clips...but it's so tiny possibly only 3mm internal that I'll have a job sourcing. Ah yes the joys of boat building!
I really want to clean up the keel before finalizing the shape of the deadwoods and keel filler, so one way or another I need to get my saw working!