Tuesday 15 January 2013

Deadwood and Keel Fillers

Since fitting the centre board, I have dry fitted and fastened with bronze screws the keel filler and outer stem.  Also managed to glue up the dead woods  - made out of Doug Fir.

The outer stem needed modification.  I had made it some time ago in conjunction with the inner stem - both laminated over molds.  However, in an effort to afford some wiggle room, I did not shave down the inner stem to its final proportion, such that when I attached the planks, the bow is slightly wider than specified, resulting in the outer stem being too narrow.  So I simply laminated another wider strip to the inside of the inner stem.  Blessed with a very understanding wife, it sits here in next to the dining table out of the cold nights in the shed!  Once set, the inner stem lined up better with the prow and now is dry fitted to the boat.

Next onto the keel filler.  This was a part which I had made by re-sawing a 1" sapele board and laminating it onto the curve of the keelson.  I needed to cut out a slot to accomadate the centre board.  It now sits also on the boat, fastened with bronze screws.

I made a template of the deadwood from the full size plan and spilled it to the keel where it meets with the keel filler.   The plans call for 6 pieces of 7" and 6" wide 8/4 boards planed down to 1 3/4".   However one of the specified lengths is 26" which according to my template is around 2" short to fit the plan, so I will have to add in a small piece when the main boards are glued up.  It is currently sitting under an electric blanket in the shed, as the nights are becoming very cold.  I did get approval to glue it up inside the warmth of the house, but glad I didn't as it is quite a messy job!


Next day I was able to rough cut out the deadwood to shape on the band saw.









Using a flush trim router bit to take the pattern from inside the centre board trunk.  A very satisfying process which produces a seamless joint.

I spent a fruitless few hours trying to get my chainsaw fired up today.  Apparently the chainsaw is the tool of choice for cutting lead - and I need to trim off 1" off the top of my keel which I over-poured.  The saw is suffering from fuel starvation - there is a tiny air vent in the petrol tank which is blocked and I had to dismantle virtually the whole saw to get at it.  By the time I got to reassemble the temperature had dropped so much that the tiny tubes running to and from the carb became so stiff, I couldn't reassemble ! so have to leave until a warmer day and my patience is in better shape before final reassembly - probably should find some new tubing and proper clips...but it's so tiny possibly only 3mm internal that I'll have a job sourcing.  Ah yes the joys of boat building!

I really want to clean up the keel before finalizing the shape of the deadwoods and keel filler, so one way or another I need to get my saw working!

1 comment:

  1. Chain Saw for trimming a lead keel. This I want to watch,........................... from a very long distance away................

    Some days all you do is fix your tools.

    ReplyDelete