Wednesday 30 January 2013

One step forward...two back

Today I spent removing the various dry fitted components off the hull - forefoot filler, keel filler and outer stem.

I roughly shaped up the deadwood to match both the lead keel and the boats keel.  It looks ok but the angle of the deadwood where it supports the lead keel seems more acute than that of the lead keel - so I am not altogether sure if I have to do quite a bit more trimming off the "top" of the deadwoods.


More curiously, the keel filler which goes between the keel and the lead keel is curved, having been made by laminating to the shape of the outer keel on the hull.  The corresponding part on the lead keel is however straight - so I presume I have to plane down the keel filler straight   Fair enough...but on closer inspection, that will mean in fact removing all of the keel filler in the centre to attain a straight line from one end of the filler to the other.  That in itself is probably not such a huge issue, but it does make me wonder if the keel on my boat is more curved that the designer planned...

Here's the keel filler - it looks like a tuning fork!
Keel Filler


Keel filler sitting on its position on top (underneath) the lead keel
When I took this off the keel and placed it on the lead keel you can see that there is quite a mis-match so I am pondering what is the best solution.  The gap at the ends is deeper than the section of the keel filler.  Alternatively I suppose I can build up the shape in the keel filler by adding new "wedges" to flatten out one side of the keel filler. 

Am I over-thinking this?  Comments Please!




1 comment:

  1. Its hard to work it out from this distance. Not being familiar with the boat or the plans its difficult to proffer any advice other than phone the designer for help.
    When I was taught Surveying a long long time ago, our instructors told us to work from the whole to the part, and it took me years to work out what they meant. If you've got a number of components which are only roughly finished and then you loosely assemble them then the result might not look quite right.
    If you can establish what the end result (the whole) should be like, you can then see where you are trying to get to.
    I've had a look at the study plans, is it possible to establish the straight line of the very lowest part of the keel on the building jig using battens and a line, then work back from there? I doubt if you could have gone far wrong its probably just a serious of minor misalignments. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete