Getting the deadwoods to fit snug with the curve of the keel was a slow process, equally fitting it to the lead keel was slow, but somewhat easier as the lead keel is relatively straight. I used a stick of chalk to cover the entire mating surface on the keel and pressed the deadwood onto the keel - this left chalk high spots on the deadwood which I then addressed using a variety of tools, including my new Japanese wood file. In the end I finished up using my Metabo orbital sander with 60 grit discs which was quite effective at removing material from the curved surface. I did check on eBay to see if I could pick up a compass plane, but they all seem to go for big bucks. I toyed with the idea of investing in a Arbortech Power plane disc, but at over 130 euros, it seemed expensive, so I persevered with files and sanders.
Fitting the keel filler was more problematic - as it turned out I had to remove so much material from the middle of the filler that it ended up in two pieces (actually three - since the two legs of the tuning fork were separated from the other part.
|Reverted to handsaw having toiled with a hand plane....!|
|All the tools in the box thrown at it!|
Fish eye lens adds extra curves to the hull!